SUDBURY YOUTH BASKETBALL LEAGUE
PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
Sudbury Youth Basketball League (SYBL) provides a safe and balanced learning environment for players of all abilities that develops athletic skills, character, sportsmanship, and teamwork for Sudbury school children from ages 8 to 13 through their participation in competitive basketball.
Sudbury Youth Basketball League (SYBL) wants to promote the physical, social and emotional development of youth participants. It is therefore essential for parents, coaches and officials to encourage youth athletes to embrace the values of good sportsmanship. Moreover, adults involved in youth sports events should be models of good sportsmanship and should lead by example by demonstrating fairness, respect and self control.
As a parent or guardian of an SYBL player, I therefore pledge to be responsible for my (and other any parent, guardian or guests of my child) words and actions while attending, coaching, officiating or participating in a youth sports event and shall conform my behavior to the following code of conduct:
1. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for the youth participants, not adults.
2. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
3. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; verbal or physical threats; or using profane language or gestures.
4. I will not engage, or encourage my child or any other person to engage, in any behaviour which would endanger the health, safety or well being of any coach, parent, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
5. I will treat, and insure my child treats, any coach, parent, player, participant, official or any other attendee with respect regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, game play or ability.
6. I will not initiate, and will not tolerate my child initiating a verbal or physical fight, abuse, negative comments or scuffle with any coach, parent, player, participant, official or any other attendee.
7. I will not embarrass my child by calling attention to him/her through loud or rude behaviour.
8. I will encourage my child to practice good sportsmanship.
9. I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
10. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of all the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
11. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game, and if I have an issue or concern I will address the SYBL contact person.
12. I will respect the facilities being used at all times and will endeavour to ensure that my child does the same.
I hereby agree that if I (or other parent, guardian, or guests of my child) fail to conform my conduct to the foregoing while attending, coaching, or participating in a SYBL youth sports event I and/or my child will be subject to disciplinary action, including but not limited to the following in any order or combination:
1. Verbal warning issued by a league, SYBL organization or a SYBL official who is authorized to issue such warning.
2. Written warning issued by a league, SYBL organization or a SYBL official who is authorized to issue such warning.
3. Suspension or immediate ejection from an SYBL event issued by a league, SYBL organization or a SYBL official who is authorized to issue such suspension or ejection.
4. Suspension from multiple SYBL events issued by a league, SYBL organization or a SYBL official who is authorized to issue such suspension.
5. One season, multiple season or permanent suspension issued by a league, SYBL organization or a SYBL official who is authorized to issue such suspension.
6. Requirement to provide written and/or in person explanation of a failure to conform to the conduct outlined above with the SYBL Directors.
I further acknowledge that this SYBL Code of Conduct may be updated and modified at SYBL’s sole discretion from time to time and the current version will be available on the SYBL web site (www.sudburyyouthbasketballleague.com